Careers in Medicine (CiM)
The planned advising and career development program and timeline are modeled upon the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) Careers in Medicine (CiM) program.
Career Development Program
In addition to individual discussions during ILP meetings, the Advising and Career Development staff plan and carry out a variety of career development activities designed to help students explore their career interests, skills and abilities and make informed decisions about specialty choice, Phase 3 plans and the residency process. Activities include speakers and workshops on a variety of topics related to the CiM program including:
- Intro to Careers in Medicine
- Exploring Your Specialty Options
- Creating Your CV
- Choosing a Specialty
- Careers in Medicine Part 2: Exploring Practice Settings and Other Career Options (teaching, research, health management, public health, public policy, informatics, pharmaceutical research, consulting)
- Getting into Residency, Part 1: Applying for Residency and the Match
- Getting into Residency, Part 2: Residency Interviewing
- Identifying and Working with Mentors
- Understanding Yourself: Using the CiM Assessments
Special events such as Specialty Networking Night and Young Professionals Networking Night are also scheduled throughout the year.
More complete details about the SOM Career Development Program events and activities will be posted here at the beginning of each academic year.
Student Affairs and Wellbeing
Student Committee Representatives